Thursday, December 11, 2008

Knowing your readers . . . even teachers!

I love when people share their excitement about a book they've just read. It doesn't matter if it's a student or a teacher or even what genre it is. When someone tells me about a book they love, it makes me want to jump into the story with them. I just finished reading the book Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. I was immediately drawn into the story, especially after the character, Stargirl was introduced. I still think of her as a real person and gained many insights into life from reading about her.

Now, there are certain books that I read that I immediately think of someone else who would enjoy it. Sometimes, it's a student; sometimes a teacher. Such was the case for Stargirl. About halfway through, I discovered this would be a perfect "Elaine book" (she's one of our 6th grade teachers). This teacher always gets excited when I've discovered a book I know she'll enjoy. My track record so far has been 100%, meaning, every book I've recommended she read, she ends up loving it as much as I think she will.

What an amazing role to play in someone's life. To know your patrons well enought to be able to point them to literature that is the perfect fit for them. This is such a rewarding part of being a media specialist. :-)

-Ms. Z

P.S. Several other "Elaine books" include Flipped by Wendelin van Draanen, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life by Wendy Mass. Read one of these great titles and post your thoughts.

No comments: