Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What's a Weebly?

I just love the names of many of the Web 2.0 tools. Names like Voki, Toondoo, Blabberize, and Glogster immediately peak my curiosity and I want to know more about them. It often takes one or two teachers to step out ahead of the crowd to try a new Web 2.0 tool, then after others see the possibilities, a wave of educators are sure to give it a try. Such was the case for using Weebly. One of our most technologically savvy teachers worked with Ms. BC on a Human Body Systems project and posted website links, project tools, and student handouts together on one Weebly page. Students could access ALL resources for the project in one convenient place. It was truly "one stop shopping!" After Ms. BC and I shared this resource at a recent staff development session with DRMS staff, other teachers showed great excitement and I could almost see the ideas running through their heads as they pondered ways to use this fabulous tool with their own students. In the coming month, additional Weebly pages will be added to our Media Center Weebly site. Our Life Skills teacher and two eighth grade Language Arts teachers are using the tool to post research information and project handouts. Although I love this tool, I'm already thinking ahead to what the next "Weebly" will be? What clever names have yet to be used?

-Ms. Z

No comments: